Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Puppets, Sheep, and Family Portraits...Oh My!

Day 4: Another day of being “up & at ‘em” bright and early. Our World Changers were excited to welcome our Roma friends back for another day of ministry time, games, fellowship, family pictures, and the powerful silent drama, Redeemer! We did hear that rain may be on its way…we prayed that God would let the clouds move so that our ministry would go off as planned.

We welcomed 60 more Roma back to camp. We had some who returned for a second day and some new faces. We began our morning with puppets, Revolution (Whoop Whoop), and we even did the Cupid Shuffle! While ministry was beginning on the play field I had the opportunity to talk to our Roma pastor. He was overwhelmed with gratitude for the ministry that our team’s were presenting. He explained that the majority of the Roma had NEVER been away from their village. Wow. Most of them had never seen the lake or had a vacation. What a privilege to be a place of rest and renewal for them.
Before we broke off from the big group we announced that family portraits would be taken. Several families rushed over to participate. They came over with faces full of pride and ready to showcase their family. Through a translator we explained that they would be getting a copy of their family picture to take home. The look on their faces was priceless. Here are a few of the family portraits that were taken…










Will you take a moment to stop and pray for the people in these photos? Pray that God would continue to send missionaries to spread the gospel. Pray that God would continue to keep their minds and hearts open to His word. Pray that they would become engulfed in the TRUTH of Jesus. Pray that Tefig, the Roma pastor, would be encouraged and strengthened.

After a morning full of ministry, a great lunch, and a little beach time we began our afternoon ministry time. We started by telling the Roma about the Parable of the Lost Sheep and the Parable of the Lost Coin. Two of our crews worked hard to retell the stories and to act them out. Wow. They were SO creative! The Roma watched intently and even laughed (and joined in!) at our precious sheep! J





Next, one of our crews began the silent drama, Redeemer. It was truly powerful. The Roma watched carefully and some other campers stopped what they were doing so that they could watch. Our crew did so well with this! Betty, our field rep, explained to the Roma what the drama was all about. She then asked our team to do it again. I was standing in the middle of the crowd and overheard a Roma couple bickering about who would go and get their crying baby. Neither of them wanted to miss it! We were all in awe of what was happening. Betty asked Tefig if he wanted to add anything…he simply said, “I cannot add anymore to what was just done. It was perfect.” Praise God!










We ended our night with Tefig as our worship speaker. Do you know what he talked about? The Parable of the Lost Sheep AND the Parable of the Lost Coin. Did he know that those were the two parables we had planned for earlier in the day? Nope, but God did. J We all had goose bumps as he talked about those two parables and as he began talking about the Roma. Each one of us left that room feeling inspired, renewed, and with a whole new understanding of why we were called to Macedonia.
He asked us to read two scriptures for homework:
Jeremiah 1:18 Today I have made you a fortified city, an iron pillar and a bronze wall to stand against the whole land—against the kings of Judah, its officials, its priests and the people of the land.
Ezekiel 33:7-9 “Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the people of Israel; so hear the word I speak and give them warning from me. 8 When I say to the wicked, ‘You wicked person, you will surely die,’ and you do not speak out to dissuade them from their ways, that wicked person will die for their sin, and I will hold you accountable for their blood. 9 But if you do warn the wicked person to turn from their ways and they do not do so, they will die for their sin, though you yourself will be saved.
Please continue to pray for the Roma, the people of Macedonia, our missionaries, and for us as we finish our last few days of ministry. Thursday and Friday are supposed to be VERY hot. We’ll be sending two crews to work at the church and two crews will work on a play field in Bitola. There is little shade. Pray that we’ll wake up energized and focused on the task at hand. Pray that we’ll continue to love these people like Jesus. Thank you! We love all of you and miss you!

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update and photo's!
    God is doing great things thru you guys and we are excited to hear of his work.
    We are praying everyday for awesome blessings to flow and more people hear about Jesus Christ.
    Looking forward to your next blog update and pics.
    Blessings to all!
    Gotta shout out to Heather Girl!
    Love and miss you...............
    MWAH
    PS. I am sure Sweet Frogs and Chicka-Fil-A are wondering where you are?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so overwhelmed by these photos. I just don't have any words...

    I am praying for you all, will continue to do so, and am so thankful for your service.

    Sydni, I love you. Praise God you are using your gifts to bring the love and grace of Jesus to life in front of all those people! All the investment of time and effort into CYT is worth it...

    Shannon - no photos of you, but I know you're there, working alongside your teammates and loving the people God is working in all around you. I love you.

    I miss you both.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan and I were wondering if Daniel actually made it to Macedonia, or if he detoured & is now patiently waiting in Paris...(he avoids cameras as you have surely figured out by now).

    Daniel - we miss you and are confident that God is using you in powerful ways, even if they are not caught on film!

    Looking forward to hearing all about it.

    Love,

    Dad & Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so moved by the pictures of the Roma families! They may be discriminated as a race, but their sense of community, love of their family and happiness is so obvious! Your interaction and teachings of the Lord's love will have lasting impressions on them and make their families even stronger.

    We eagerly check the website several times a day for new postings and thank you for sharing and taking the time to help us relate to your experience there! We have felt every emotion while viewing them and enjoyed them all.

    You can be assured your team and prayer requests are being lifted up!

    Amber, we are so proud of you! I love you - Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. These pictures are beautiful. The people you are working with this week are beautiful. The land is beautiful, and it must be an awesome feeling to know that you are walking in the footsteps of Paul.

    I wanted to share this with you. Tuesday night I took my usual walk around my neighborhood with my iPod. "Beautiful Things" by Gungor came up on the playlist, and as I walked and listened, my heart turned to all of you. Michael Gungor's voice sounds so much like Elijah's (and E sang this song very well at PCC one weekend), so I got to thinking about him, and all of you in Macedonia. In case you aren't that familiar with the song, here are the lyrics:

    All this pain..
    I wonder if I'll ever find my way.
    I wonder if my life could really change, at all.
    All this earth..
    Could all that is lost ever be found?
    Could a garden come up from this ground, at all?

    [chorus:]
    You make beautiful things,
    You make beautiful things out of dust.
    You make beautiful things,
    You make beautiful things out of us.

    [verse 2:]
    All around,
    Hope is springin up from this old ground.
    Out of chaos, life is being found in You.

    [chorus:] 2x

    [bridge:]
    You make me new,
    You are making me new.
    You make me new,
    You are making me new.

    I played that song about 4 times in a row, and my walk became a prayerwalk for all of you as well as for our team in Belize. Because what the song says is exactly what God is doing this week through each and every one of you. When I saw those pictures of the camp, and of Elijah singing up on that mountain, and of you all walking through those hills as I imagine Paul and his fellow missionaries did...well just let me say that what is going on there is POWERFUL.

    I am praying for you to be able to bear the heat and sun as you work on the church and in the park. I am praying that lives continue to be changed. I am praying for God to keep pouring out his blessings on the whole team.

    You are loved and missed and we can't wait to see you again, and hear your God stories.

    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am up very late (it is 1:30AM here) and find that, as I do many times this week, I am thinking, "What time is it for them? What are they doing right now?"

    I imagine you are already hard into your day. I am praying for you.

    And though I already commented and sent my encouragement, I need my two girls to know something. After seeing these pictures (somehow it is different this year) and catching hold of what you are doing through ME's descriptions, I found myself unable to sleep.

    I WANT TO GO.

    Love you, Shan and Syd. Can't wait to hear the stories. And wondering if I'll be part of the next batch....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome... truly awesome!!
    I have so enjoyed "being there" with all of you!!
    Give Amber a hug from me...

    ~Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, blessings to all!

    Johnathan you and Daniel try and not be so camera shy.

    We love you,
    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the family photos! I'm guessing most of them didn't smile, because they're embarrassed about their rotten teeth. On the first trip, we found the Roma people to be capable of so much love, and it shows in these photos.
    The sheep made me laugh out loud. Natasha, is that what you had in mind last week when you we're fighting for that visa--crawling on the ground like a sheep? Ha!
    Beth--going?! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Angie, I kept asking the Roma to smile and we'd only get half smiles. I asked one of our translators why that was. He said, "In the Roma culture it's proper to smile small." So, that's why. :) Also, Natasha came up with the sheep idea (I think.) How precious is that?!?!

    See the picture of the guy in the black tshirt smiling BIG & laughing with his wife? The Roma pastor, Tefig, was standing behind the camera making kiss noises (they wanted a picture of just the two of them)! They LOVED that picture when we gave it to them. They are SO proud of their families. Ahh...makes me tear up just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. all of these pictures are great! its great to see that all of you are having such a great time and having fun with the families, that skit always works in powerful ways.

    ReplyDelete